Friday, April 25, 2008

The (Overused and Overworked) Black Swan.

After a dismal showing of their sophomore album, Story of the Year left their major record label Maverick, in favor of the more independent feel of Epitaph Records. After five years of being with Maverick, and one major success with Page Avenue, the parted ways was a result not really being able to follow up with another commercially successful album. While I enjoyed many of the songs featured on In the Wake of Determination (in sort of junior high, anthem, me-against-them way), Story of the Year was not able to rally the support of media outlets such as popular rock radio or MTV and therefore felt a huge drop in sales. What worked about their first two albums for me was the band's ability to write catchy, fist pumping anthems. Certainly not the most musically viable songs, or the most meaningful and deep, but a pleasure to me nonetheless. That being said, I had minimal expectations for the new record released on April 22nd. So in a way SOTY did not really fail me. I had low expectations and they delivered (not a good thing).

The music on this record is much harder, heavier, and obviously not as commercially acceptable. This is all fine. The music works well for what it is, something to hype you up and get you ready for action. It is not the smartest album, but the guitar solos are technically good. Musically, I question whether they are trying to do too much i.e. play as fast as possible. The album is not terribly layered with many different sounds. It is a typical rock album: guitars, bass, drums and vocals. It leaves room for experimentation of new sounds but I'm not sure they are that type of band. Unfortunately, I feel the even the sonic quality of the guitars are pretty unadventurous and similar on every track. Overall, the music of this album is mediocre, and definitely nothing I haven't already heard, on their previous albums or any of the other various nu-rock bands that have sprung up in the past decade. 

The lyrics on this record are.... predictable. The war, the environment, President Bush, the end of the world, oppression. Where have i heard this before? Practically every media, music, and film outlet in the past three years. The message of the album is great, but come on, let's be a little more original. I've heard all the criticisms of the government and the world I can take and it is getting old, especially since this is the entire content of the album. The lyrics don't contain anything you can't see at first glance; it all seems pretty shallow to me. Overused metaphors like "the medicine and the disease" in the song The Antidote just seem cheesy these days. Combined with fast, loud guitars, I am sure this album would do something for many people who are looking to be inspired, but not me. Don't get me wrong, it's a great message and I am all for many of the messages they are preaching, but their delivery is very trite. 

The melodies and phrasing of this album are not great either. I can't say they are bad, but mediocrity is the key term here. I can't envision me ever sitting down and listening to this stuff. SOTY lost it's ability to write catchy hooks and even seem to make some really awkward phrasing choices. I'm not sure if they forgot what made them a good band, which was a heavy rhythm section, tasteful and complicated guitar licks, and hooky anthem  melodies, but it sure seems like it.

Overall this album, as said before, is mediocre. The lyrics are predictable, melodies decent, and musical ability shown is little of their capabilities. The album will definitely work for someone who is not looking for something too deep and maybe has not watched the news in the past 5 years and never heard of the Iraq War or other controversial issues of our time, but I try to stay informed. I could never find myself just craving to listen to this CD, but I am sure many people could. So, in my opinion it just does not really build anywhere from their last album and mainly loses qualities I used to enjoy about the band. As they call for the people of America to put more thought into the political, environmental, and social aspects of their lives; I call for Story of the Year to put more thought and originality into their next release.

Key Tracks
Wake Up
The Antidote

2 out of 5 stars

Links




No comments: